The time is nearly here for Finger Lakes Craft Cider Week!
Cider Week is a growing way for groups of cider makers and enthusiasts to get together and celebrate the finest of all libations, hard cider! There are a number of Cider Weeks in the United States now and some of them having been going on for a few years now. This will be the third Finger Lakes Cider Week!
The actual dates are October 3rd through 12th, 2014. There will be cider events galore all over the region. Find out more at http://www.ciderweekflx.com/ or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ciderweekflx
So, to help get people as excited as I am for the upcoming festivities, I thought I'd mention a few of the upcoming events and link back to my coverage both of last year's Cider Week and of the participating cideries that I've featured or reviewed in the past. That way you'll know a bit more about what you could be drinking soon at Cider Week!
My Participation Last Year
In 2013, I was lucky enough to be invited to help run a cheese and cider pairing event at The Cellar D'Or which is still a huge favorite of mine. We paired ciders and cheeses from the local to the international and had a great time. I know they're doing tons for Cider Week again this year.
Here's just a bit of link roundup for reviews I've done in the past on ciders from cideries that will be participating in Cider Week again this year.
Highlights of Cider Week 2014
• Friday- Sunday October 3-5: Apple Harvest Festival with cider sampling, apple tasting, pies, rides, and more, Ithaca
• Friday October 3 (5-8pm): Cider Week Kickoff Tasting at The Cellar D'Or with Eve's Cidery, Bellwether Cidery, and Redbyrd Orchard Cider, Ithaca
• Tuesday. October 7 (7pm): Science Cabaret with Dr. Gavin Sacks @ Lot 10, Ithaca
• Wed. October 8 Free Cider Tasting at Seneca Falls Farmer's Market, Seneca Falls
• Thu. October 9: Cider Party for the Library’s 40th! @ Durland Alternatives Library, Ithaca
• Fri. October 10 (5-8pm) Local and International Cider tasting at The Cellar D'Or with Blackbird Cider Works, Ithaca
• Fri. October 10 (8-11pm): Cider Stomp @ the Chanticleer Loft, Ithaca
• Sat. October 11 (11am, 1pm): Orchard and Cidery Tours @ Black Diamond Farms, Trumansburg
• Sat. October 11 (3-7pm): Gifts of the Apple family event @ the Good Life Farm, Interlaken
• Sat. October 11 (5-8pm): Free Cider Tasting at Greenstar Coop with Bellwether Ciders
• Sun. October 12 (8am-5pm): Build Your Own Cider Press and Cider Making Workshop @ Hammerstone School, Trumansburg (requires pre-registration)
Cider Week Cideries I've Reviewed
Harvest Moon Cidery
Redbyrd Orchard Cider
Beak and Skiff's 1911 Hard Cider
Cider Week Cideries I Still Need to Review
Black Diamond Farm Ciders
Black Bird Cider Works
South Hill Cider
Hazlitt's Cider Tree
Three Bros. Winery
How many of those can I get good notes on before the end of cider week? Do you think I can collect all six? I might just try.
(Full Disclosure: I'm a volunteer for Cider Week. I'm part of the team that's trying to bring you free cider and fun.)